sand is overrated

all songs posted are for evaluation only. if you hear something you like and would like to hear more, please go ahead and support the artists by buying their music--i will always include links for you to do so. copyright holders: if anything on my site needs to be taken down, please email me and it will be removed immediately.

Monday, January 23, 2012

2011 albums of the year : #5

5.
on the water

future islands

thrill jockey, october 11, 2011

"balance"


here is where it got tough. deciding between several shades of why and on the water at number five was a particularly difficult decision. future islands was a new band for me, and samuel herring's bear of a voice is never short on histrionics. on the other hand, histrionics may be what the subject matter requires. on the water played a big part in an altogether conflicted month of october, as i found my mind and my heart turned upside down by lines such as "if things hadn't changed / i would have buried you deep in my arms", "if you let me be there again / i'll be still, won't say a word", and "look back, hold onto the last / don't let today push out the past". in the end, although the associations are a bit uncomfortable, the impact was undeniable, and the question begs--is number five even too low?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

all songs posted are for evaluation only. if you hear something you like and would like to hear more, please go ahead and support the artists by buying their music--i will always include links for you to do so. copyright holders: if anything on my site needs to be taken down, please email me and it will be removed immediately.

Wikio - Top Blogs - Music Add to Technorati Favorites