sand is overrated

all songs posted are for evaluation only. if you hear something you like and would like to hear more, please go ahead and support the artists by buying their music--i will always include links for you to do so. copyright holders: if anything on my site needs to be taken down, please email me and it will be removed immediately.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

my maudlin career

as much as i love m. ward and hold time (still my favorite album of 2009...only nine months to go!), i know that the forthcoming release by camera obscura will vie heavily for my attention as well. at least, if 2006 is any indication. that year, it seemed like every third post on sand is overrated was about m. ward and post-war, but in the end, let's get out of this country was my favorite album of the year. camera obscura have simply yet to write a song that i don't like, and the title track off my maudlin career is no exception. tracyanne campbell's vocals are characteristically pristine and dripping with sorrow, but the track is buoyed by a fluttering piano line and a shimmering, spector-esque wall of sound. the band have left the comfort of one indie stalwart (merge records) for another (4ad), but the track leaves no doubt that my maudlin career, out april 21st, finds the band still on top of their game.

camera obscura : "my maudlin career"
from the forthcoming lp my maudlin career (4ad, april 21, 2009)

1 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

Yeah, this is my most anticipated album in a long time. I like the title track fine enough but if the rest of the album is only as good as that, it'll be a disappointment. Which mostly just says how excited I am for it.

March 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

all songs posted are for evaluation only. if you hear something you like and would like to hear more, please go ahead and support the artists by buying their music--i will always include links for you to do so. copyright holders: if anything on my site needs to be taken down, please email me and it will be removed immediately.

Wikio - Top Blogs - Music Add to Technorati Favorites