sand is overrated

all songs posted are for evaluation only. if you hear something you like and would like to hear more, please go ahead and support the artists by buying their music--i will always include links for you to do so. copyright holders: if anything on my site needs to be taken down, please email me and it will be removed immediately.

Friday, August 03, 2007

the soundtrack of my life : transatlanticism

transatlanticism has always been my favorite album by death cab for cutie, and one of my absolute favorites by anyone. it seems pretty close to perfect to me. there is an honesty and rawness to emotions that are so bravely bared, presented within a collection of songs that are sometimes slow, sometimes fast, but always undeniably catchy and sing-along-able. the album's theme, stated so simply by its title, unfolds beneath a tracklisting that was obviously pored over and delicately transcribed, and the whole concept is tied together by the sound of a train that both begins and finishes the album, as well as ties together the album's two centerpieces "tiny vessels" and "transatlanticism". maybe it's just the heartfelt way that ben gibbard writes songs that makes transatlanticsm so real and relatable no matter what circumstances my life currently resided in. but let me tell you, when circumstances change and strike a little closer to home, the effects become magnified to the point of excess. "transatlanticism" is now my absolute theme song, perhaps with just the minor modification of being "transpacificism" instead. this girl that i love is now thousands of miles away, across an ocean that looms so dauntingly on the horizon. i am even mocked by google maps, which tell me that it's impossible to get (driving directions) from here to where she is. it just seems so far, far away...

it's now been a week since she left and i can't stop thinking about how friday last week around was one of the most bittersweet days of my life. it was one of the most enjoyable days i've ever spent with another human being, and yet at the end of it i knew that i would have to say goodbye. thinking about the times we've spent together, and the times that we will be missing out on until the distance falls away, i couldn't possibly say it any better, with any fewer words, than "i need you so much closer".

so come on.

death cab for cutie : "transatlanticism" mp3
from the lp transatlanticism (barsuk records, 2003)
the atlantic was born today and i'll tell you how
the clouds above opened up and let it out

i was standing on the surface of a perforated sphere
when the water filled every hole
and thousands upon thousands made an ocean
making islands where no island should go
oh, no

most people were overjoyed; they took to their boats
i thought it less like a lake and more like a moat
the rhythm of my footsteps crossing flatlands to your door
have been silenced forevermore
the distance is quite simply much too far for me to row
it seems farther than ever before
oh, no

i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer

i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer
i need you so much closer

so come on, come on
so come on, come on
so come on, come on
so come on, come on

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your situation; I'm sure you to will find a way to make things work. Death Cab is amazing and Transatlanticism is a particular favorite.
-K

August 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I love this album as well. It really is a beautiful collection of songs.

I am very gald to have come across your blog. I share a similar music taste, and I definitely understand how music can be so powerful.

August 21, 2007 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Comandante Agí said...

Great album, indeed. I really like "Sound of Settling". Although Weezer's "Across the Sea" might be more apropos to your current situation...

You've beautifully touched on the power of music in this post. It molds itself in and out of one's personal life in the most amazing and intense moments, the ups and downs, highs and lows.

August 22, 2007 at 4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Transatlantic love can work. Trust me. Get yourself a good webcam and it doesnt feel so far away.

I think this is one of the best complete albums I know. Transatlanticism tugs at my heart every time.

October 24, 2007 at 5:31 AM  
Anonymous Jon/Dance Hall Hips said...

A train. Is that what it is. It's one of my favorite albums too and I've never been able to put my finger on it. It just rememinded me of driving on the highway with the kind of down.

October 27, 2007 at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

all songs posted are for evaluation only. if you hear something you like and would like to hear more, please go ahead and support the artists by buying their music--i will always include links for you to do so. copyright holders: if anything on my site needs to be taken down, please email me and it will be removed immediately.

Wikio - Top Blogs - Music Add to Technorati Favorites