everything i've been putting off
the past few months i've put off a lot of things off i concentrated on the business plan competition i was involved in. now that i have a moment, let's try to catch up:
- the attachments are an indie-pop band from berkeley. catchy songs with exceedingly creative arrnagements, and witty lyrics that invariably revolve around god's greatest creation--girls--make up the attachments' six-song self-titled ep. listening to these songs, it's clear that this is music for people who love music, made by a bunch of guys who simply love music. and girls. how could you resist?
- sir salvatore is a band from san francisco whose debut ep, those men are not astronauts, was released last month. they have been compared to the likes of the strokes. take a listen to this song and hear why it's a very favorable comparison.
from the ep those men are not astronauts (2007)
- the flies are a collaboration between sean cook (8 years in spiritualized, 3 in lupine howl) and bristol-based production team known as the insects (massive attack, liz frasier, goldfrapp etc.). the debut album, all too human, will be released in the uk in october.
from the lp all too human (2007)
- saturna finished up their debut lp, entitled some delicious enemy. the album drops on june 12th and demonstrates an obvious maturation and developing confidence from the time they released their ...all night ep.
from the lp some delicious enemy (2007)
- from the most excellent good fences label comes jade mcnelis, a taiwanese-born adopted-american, piano-playing singer-songwriter. on her debut ep, all the fables, "mcnelis weaves her way through a collection of noirish lullabies, electronic verses and sexy preludes to form her own anthology of life lessons, childhood souvenirs and memoirs left untouched by neither fib or foe nor wild invention."
- the yellow bird project is a very cool montreal-based non-profit initiative that designs and sells t-shirts to provide money for artist-supported charitable organizations. featured bands so far include rilo kiley, joseph arthur, clap your hands say yeah, stars, my brightest diamond, etc. check it out here
- finally, jason over at the good, the bad, and the unknown put in a ton of work organizing the first annual music blog awards (muba) and gaining the support of the very awesome emusic.com, and i was lucky enough to be involved with it. here's the blurb:
if you'd like to check out the playlist that i chose, go here. it consists entirely of b-sides and rarities that you might have a hard time finding elsewhere. emusic is perfect for those songs, although the way it's displayed on my page is not exactly ideal--the artist names don't show up, but here they are for your convenience: spoon, sunset rubdown, radiohead, beck, jeff buckley, coldplay, sufjan stevens, andrew bird, camera obscura, m. ward.
the nomination committee was comprised of authors from the following excellent blogs:
#1 hits from another planet
a beef sandwich
all things go blog
an aquarium drunkard
a plague of angels
bars and guitars
both sides of the mouth
communications major, english minor
from blown speakers
the good, the bad, the unknown
hate something beautiful
i am fuel, you are friends
i guess i'm floating
jonk's music blog
kwaya na kisser
the late greats
the listening post
the music slut
my old kentucky blog
noise for toaster
off the record
quick before it melts
sand is overrated
silence is a rhythm too
speed of dark
under the rotunda
white boy dance floor