sand is overrated

all songs posted are for evaluation only. if you hear something you like and would like to hear more, please go ahead and support the artists by buying their music--i will always include links for you to do so. copyright holders: if anything on my site needs to be taken down, please email me and it will be removed immediately.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

the soundtrack of my life : i'm wide awake it's morning


every so often--once every couple years i'd say--an album comes out that represents everything i love about music. it may not necessarily be the best album, nor even a great album, but it strikes a chord in me in just such a way that it is perfect to me. one of last year's releases by bright eyes, i'm wide awake, it's morning, was one of those albums for me.

in many ways, october 2004 to may 2005 was one of the most difficult times of my life. it saw the end of a long relationship that for many years was everything to me. as a result of that i moved...twice. five years after finishing my undergraduate education, i returned to school as a graduate student, somehow voluntarily thrusting myself back into the stress, busy-ness, and misery of the school environment. i was unhappy for so long, and yet it was never something i wanted any of my new classmates to see. holding everything inside has a way of making you feel lonely, as if this sort of forced reticence was because i didn't think anyone else would understand. in hindsight it's easy to see that that couldn't have been true, but during those moments of bleakness and solitude, reason was not a friend of mine.

and such was the state i was in when, in january 2005, i picked up i'm wide awake, it's morning. i found myself in it from the very first listen--lyrically, topically, musically. in a year of life, love, and loss, it hit me where it counts and never seemed to let go. "landlocked blues" seemed a perfect description of the desperation and hopelessness i felt about the disintegration of the relationship i had just left. i can't count the number of times i listened to "at the bottom of everything" to help remind myself of the true gravity of certain circumstances, to help me put things into their proper perspective. and in "first day of my life" i found a love song that reminded me of what it was i was looking for. and that's not even to mention "lua", a song so starkly beautiful and destructive that it makes you want to become a crack head so that maybe, just maybe, you could find a moment of such pure genius. in the end, i'm wide awake it's morning helped me to realize that the things i was going through were nothing new, that trials and tribulations are part and parcel with the experiences of life. and even if it didn't necessarily cause me to feel comfortable in sharing them with the world (i think it was just a matter of time), simply knowing that i was never really alone was enough to help me sleep at night.

bright eyes : "landlocked blues" (mp3)
from the album i'm wide awake, it's morning (2005)
so i'm up at dawn
putting on my shoes
i just want to make a clean escape
i'm leaving, but i don't know where to


bright eyes : "at the bottom of everything" (mp3)
from the album i'm wide awake, it's morning (2005)
oh, my morning's coming back
the whole world’s waking up
all the city buses swimming past
i'm happy just because
i found out i am really no one


bright eyes : "first day of my life" (mp3)
from their performance at the 9:30 club in washington d.c. (2005)
this is the first day of my life
swear i was born right in the doorway
i went out in the rain, suddenly everything changed there
spreading blankets on the beach


bright eyes : "lua"
from the coachella dvd (2006)
and i know you have a heavy heart
i can feel it when we kiss
so many men stronger than me
have thrown their backs out trying to lift it
but me, i'm not a gamble
you can count on me to split
the love i sell you in the evening
by the morning won't exist

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i often find that when i'm sitting in front o f a computer, i can only think one certain way

November 12, 2006 at 3:13 AM  
Blogger joseph said...

Wonderful reading about your discoveries to the sounds of Josh Ritter singing Wolves from his album The Animal years. I find in your words an openness to experience all that life has to offer regardless of however painful or blissful it might be. You write about beauty and destruction happening in simultaneous activity with a sense that you have let go of a part of your identity that just wasn't fitting anymore.

It is a joy to read.

Thank you

April 26, 2011 at 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

all songs posted are for evaluation only. if you hear something you like and would like to hear more, please go ahead and support the artists by buying their music--i will always include links for you to do so. copyright holders: if anything on my site needs to be taken down, please email me and it will be removed immediately.

Wikio - Top Blogs - Music Add to Technorati Favorites